Animated Homework

a bigger splat

OK just finished my first homework (link above) for the Adobe Generation Animation in Flash course. I’ve learned about keyframes and how to do both motion-tweening and shape tweening and loads of other stuff.

It’s interesting to join this online course as a participant to get a sense of what it actually feels like. More significantly, its good to have the encouragement, resources and support to learn more about animation – and to do something. I do like the opportunity the course provides to meet professional animators every week – and all in the comfort of your own home at 7 p.m. each week. All three courses include access to tutors, working professionals, resources and an opportunity to see what other students are doing. Even if you don’t attend the course by enrolling you do have access to the recorded classes and the resources.

Of course, this is a piece of shameless promotion of my friends who are developing this programme – but I am genuinely exciting by it and this year it is even more professional.

Profile photo of Dan

About Dan

Senior Advisor, Art Inspector, Member of the Expert Advisory Group for Art, Consultant working with NSEAD, IOE, QCA, UCE, UOG. Currently lecturer at UCL working on a project in Kazakhstan to develop text books for a new art curriculum.
This entry was posted in IT, Just Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Animated Homework

  1. Love the splat – but the Adobe generation stuff will have to wait (great though it is).

    I have read your using targets paper (NSEAD) and I am keen not to lead Art kicking and screaming down an enforced targets path. Without history of leading Art, although I understand their lack of faith, however we need to encourage more challenge in this curriculum area.

    Do you have a view on KS2 PA versus KS3 teacher assessment target – or any suggestions to build a confidence in target sitting for a committed team.

    • Profile photo of Dan Dan says:

      Hi Kristian. I know its easy for me I’ve retired but I am not sure I can keep up with the pace. I’ll see.

      I don’t know which paper you have seen on NSEAD site. Earlier this year I reworked earlier papers to publish on an iPad so the latest version (for iPad or PDF) can be found here http://danchina.net/2012/06/assessment-paper-for-ipads/

      I will try to summarize my position. You shouldn’t have to worry about KS2 data if you understand that it is only a picture of what a previous generation of pupils (with the same starting points) actually got. It’s interesting and relevant to the debate about targets, but it is not a prediction or target for any one of your students. If you wish to encourage more challenge it is good to aspire to the performance of those schools which recorded the best performance with that cohort. So challenging department level targets can be derived from KS2 data.

      But at individual student level I think it is important for teachers to realise that the data provides an estimated chance of a student achieving each of the grades. So it could be a 50% chance of getting a ‘C’ and a 30% chance of getting a ‘B’ and a 20% chance of getting a ‘D’. It is my view that the target identified must take account of teacher assessment and that teachers will know whether that student is most likely to get a ‘B’ or a ‘D’. If the KS2 data encourages the school/department/teacher to accept a challenging target – well that is a good thing. If the target is imposed and teacher assessment indicates that the student will undoubtedly fail to reach that target then this is probably a bad thing for the student and the integrity of the target setting process.

      I am inclined to think that if teachers actually knew what the KS2 data actually is and what it looks like, they will be more likely to work with the school to agree appropriate and challenging targets rather than to reject and resist (or kick and scream in your terms). I also wrote the papers on the assumption that heads of art might feel like sharing them with SMT colleagues. If they were inclined to do so they might also mention that the director of Fischer Family Trust got in touch to ask if he could quote from, and recommend, the paper as it was one of the best expositions of the role of FFT in target setting that he had seen.

      Hope this is helpful good luck. Dan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *